Over the past few years, people are becoming more creative with waste, to be sustainable and environmentally friendly. What is garbage to one can be transformed into a treasure to another. From recycling clothing into new garments to recycling pallets into furniture pieces.
We caught up with Dan from The Pallet Project in Wellington who shared how he accumulates pallets – he picks them up from businesses such as supermarkets and warehouses and said many businesses appreciate someone taking pallets off their plate since they have no use for them. While they are easily accessible and free, we recommend that you always ask before taking!
If your mind isn’t already racing with ideas on how to transform pallet wood into your next masterpiece, here are a few things you create with just a saw, sander, and drill…and without spending a cent (unless you want to finish it off with a pot of colour).
- Planter Box – Start a large veggie or herb garden in pallets or simply create a single pot for flowers – you can build these in various ways.
- Bed Frame – Perfect for a spare bedroom, pallet beds are trendy too.
- Coffee Table – Give off an industrial or rustic vibe with one of these in your living room.
- Wall Art – Find your favourite stencil and paint on a stack of pallets together to liven up that empty wall.
- Shelves – Quite possibly the easiest option and the one that we all need in our home.
- Bookshelf – Make a room in your house even more cosier with a pallet wood bookshelf filled with your favourite reads.
- Table & Benches – A bit more for the advanced, you can construct outdoor furniture for your picnics in the sun – and enhance it with pillows too.
- Pet bed – Throw a pillow on top of it & voila.
Now go on and collect some pallets to get started!